Monday, June 13, 2005

Longing for home yet ???

A fellow English ex-pat, recently arrived here in Phnom Penh, asked me last night what I missed most about living in England.

Having given the question about ten seconds thought, I quickly banged out the following list, also including a few of the things that I do not miss.

What I Miss:
  • Family and Friends
  • The overall cleanliness of everything.
  • Knowing I can cross a street without placing my life in jeopardy.
  • Burger Kings double bacon cheese burger – with large fries
  • The Clock Restaurant in Hanwell; The Swan in Mountsorrel
    New Years Eve
  • BBC, ITV, Channel 4, the depth and variety of British TV.
  • Spending hours perusing my favourite new and used book stores.
  • The variety of great ethnic food – Indian, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Indian, French, Italian, Chinese, Indian, et cetera

What I Do Not Miss:

  • The lack of free time.
  • The high cost of everything.
  • Seeing half of your income eaten up by a combination of; Income tax, mortgage payments, transport to work costs, et cetera.
  • Paying more than US$2 for a new DVD
  • The thought that you can probably never truly quit working and retire.
  • Morons hanging out at Costa Coffee with laptop computers – esp. on Maddox St, London, W1… yes, you know who you are !
  • The Congestion Charge – and other idiot regulations

I am sure that if I put some effort into it, I could come up with a much more comprehensive list; maybe later …

No comments: