Friday, October 07, 2005

Friday the 30th September

Philippine Birthday Party No. 2
Regular readers may recall me attending my Philippine neighbour’s birthday party a couple of months back. Today is his brother-in-laws birthday (he was 22) and so they are having a party next-door. And so as good neighbours, they invite me – presumably to cut of any objections J
Despite only living 6 inches away I was late to the start of the party and it was kicking off with the food when we got there, the food was excellent, it had been prepared by my neighbours mother-in-law, an 80 year old Philippine woman who speaks surprisingly good English, for her sons birthday she had been slaving away in the kitchen all day preparing:

Stir fry noodles with pork, veg and chillies
Barbequed King Prawns
Shrimp paste spring rolls
Roast chicken
And of course the ubiquitous Boiled Rice

Halfway through us grazing the buffet the main dish for the food arrived, having been prepared by the only Philippine restaurant in Phnom Penh. It was a traditional Philippine dish made for parties - it was a suckling pig that had been barbequed whole. I have to say, it was fantastic.

An hour or so into it some more guests arrive a mixture of young Philippine guys and young Khmer guys turn up, friend of the birthday boy, I move out onto the balcony to join them for a drink – that was were things started to go wrong.

While having a few beers with them they started playing some Philippine drinking games, some semi frozen rum and fruit juice concoction was involved – in addition to the beers – after an hour or so of that a few more of their friends turned up, but we had run out of Philippine rum to make the punch needed for the drinking game, oh no, luckily they had brought with them a couple of two litre bottles of Johnny Walker… aghhhh.

I think that I managed to crawl into my bed next-door at around 3AM

Saturday the 1st of October
There is a power drill inside my head

Oh my head hurts.

Never, ever, ever, get into Philippine drinking games involving Philippine rum.

No comments: