Friday, July 01, 2005

VSO Cambodia - news from the office...

I can hear a gecko laughing in the background somewhere…

Just received my monthly Newsletter from the VSO Cambodia office.

The first article in it was about how the office here needs to buy a new car, a nice shiny new 4x4 Land cruiser or something – bring the total up to 4 cars.

Now, us Phnom Penh volunteers have to buy our own transport, or buy it twice if you get your motorbike stolen…

But with an estimated 60 VSO volunteer-professionals working here by the end of the year, they feel that they need more fancy off-road cars to run around the city and country in.

The second article was that the VSO Cambodia director, in consultation with head office in London, feels that the current VSO stipend for Cambodia IS TOO HIGH !

Now, after I pay my rent and bills, I have about US$200 left for little luxuries every month like; food, petrol, et cetera or even the odd night out (heaven forbid) !?!

I would also like to point out at this point that the VSO staff (as opposed to us volunteers) is here earning the equivalent to their salary back in the UK – plus it is tax free...

So how the hell would they know if the allowance we receive is too high ???

During the 18 months that I have been here I have spent around US$10,000 of my own money.

No wonder I am losing patience with some of these people.

Yes, defiantly enough to make a gecko laugh.

No comments: