Thursday, November 04, 2004

Perceptions reveal more about ourselves than others

Now I am a reasonable man, quiet, calm, even tempered, people have even gone as far in the past as to describe me as tranquil.

Yet an incident occurred the other day that really pissed me off.

In fact, it annoyed me so much I was close to slapping a woman. I was enjoying an early spot of luncheon with two friends. Now these two particular friends are Khmer and they are also female. They are family of a very good Khmer friend of mine.

They do not work in bars; they are in town staying with my friend’s family while they look at different schools/universities here for them to study at.

That is to say, they are normal teenage Khmer good girls. My friend had to go and meet someone about a business they are thinking about buying, so I said that I would take the girls for lunch, they wanted to try ‘Western Food’ so I took them to a well know ex-pat restaurant here.

Well despite the girls having watched a million hours of HBO, AXN and STAR Movies, they were not sure what they wanted to try at the restaurant; which resulted in much hilarity ensuing from my pigeon Khmer, their pigeon English and my somewhat limited miming skills.

But we eventually got an order placed after about 10 or 15 minutes of such joviality. After the waitress had gone, we were still giggling a fair bit when the 20 stone, po-faced, battle ax, war dragon, pig ugly, militant skank, mound of the hound of the Baskerville’s, bitch sat at the table opposite us remarked, rather loudly, to her dining companion.

‘It is bad enough men like him are here, but do they have to show off those sort of girls in public’

Well, to be honest, it took me a second or two to work out who and what she was talking about.

‘EXCUSE ME, did you just call my friends whores???’

I should have bitch slapped the stupid fat cowup and down the river front

Grrrr

No comments: